Sunday, August 20, 2006

deedle dee

here is the talk i gave in church


The first thoughts that entered my mind when I was asked to give this talk about the blessings of the priesthood in our homes was the way in which the priesthood holders in my own family utilize this gift to serve and lead the members of my family as well as others that they come in contact with. Thomas S. Monson said that, “The priesthood is not really so much a gift as it is a commission to serve, a privilege to lift, and an opportunity to bless the lives of others.” This statement has become extremely apparent in my home as I have seen my brothers and my dad jump at any chance to use the priesthood in this manner. One specific instance comes to my mind, a few weeks ago my dad was preparing for a stressful trial the Sunday before the trial he asked my brother james to give him a blessing, seeing my brothers hands on my dad’s head was a huge testimony builder for me, seeing the faith that my dad had in the power of the priesthood helped me to realize that power. Service and the priesthood in my mind always went hand in hand it seems that if you are using the priesthood as much as possible in your life you can’t do so with out serving others. David O. Mckay said that the “Priesthood means service. This is true even in its divine source, as we may infer from the sublime declaration: ‘This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.’ Emanating from Deity is the service that leads to the redemption of God’s children.” A tradition in my family as well as in many others is to receive blessings before the school year starts as I started college last year I was thankful to be blessed with the comfort that I so needed in the first months of school. While I was at school I realized what a great opportunity it was for me to have the priesthood on hand all the time, being away from that made me realize how much I depend on my dad and brothers worthiness to use the priesthood.
Another thing the priesthood coincides with is leadership. Doctrine and Covenants 121: 36 and 37 says That the arights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be bcontrolled nor handled only upon the cprinciples of righteousness. 37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to acover our bsins, or to gratify our cpride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or ddominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens ewithdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.” It is obvious in this verse that the priesthood can only be used for good in leadership and that when it is used for good great things can occur. At general conference in 1977, Elder L. Tom Perry says : I am aware how concerned we each are with the leadership we find in the world today. To change the head of a nation, state, or community towards righteous leadership may require our earnest efforts for years. But there is something we can change today to make the world a better place in which to live. Husbands and fathers, the power is within you as bearers of the priesthood. Enjoy the inspiration of God, our Eternal Father, to lead, guide, and direct your families in righteousness. You stand at the head of the only organization I know of that can be eternal. Should not that charge and responsibility receive top priority in your life?”
I take great comfort in the fact that my father is a worthy and inspired leader of my family. Because of this I know his decisions are correct and he knows what is best for me and my siblings. Priesthood leadership in the home does not always manifest itself in a father, families can also rely on the counsel of church leaders, home teachers, Sunday school instructors and neighbors.
I am thankful to be able to have this opportunity to speak today and I am so very grateful for the wonderful examples of the priesthood that my brothers and my dad give me.



we are having a big old family gathering at my house tonight with the cousins and what not it will be great have a great sabbath everyone

No comments: